Sunday, March 28, 2010

Collage Reflection: Where Has Empathy Gone?

Thinking Creatively
I think that I thought quite creatively for this assignment. Instead of jotting random pictures and words onto a piece of plain paper, I decided to be creative and outline the map of Sudan as the main part of the collage, and drew a small map of the United States a little above it. The message I was trying to get across to the viewer of choosing to work with my collage like this, was so that the viewer knew that Sudan was the main part of their whole story, and how they had to face many difficulties in their life, in which some of them are still having to face. I also included a little route-map which showed where they started their migration, and where they migrated to over several years. I cut around this and some pictures and words that were hanging out of the collage, which I thought was kind of unique. I noticed that some people had their collages outlined of the Sudan map, but I decided to add the map of the United States to clearly explain that they also lived in America. There are footsteps that are leading from Sudan, around the Darfur area, to Houston Texas, which precisely explains where they migrated from and to. I do not necessarily think that my 6-word memoir is the whole anchor of this collage, however, I feel as if my pictures and words really stand out the most. My 6-word memoir basically just looks like words I typed up that describes what they went through in six words that was just randomly pasted onto my collage- which I definitely could have worked on. However, it does still stand out, but not as much as my other words or pictures do. One thing I did to enhance the fact that my memoir is actually on the college, was by outlining it in black and red, which, in this case, would relate to blood and war. Another part where I used creative thinking with my collage was when I tried to choose specific pictures to add symbolism to it. For example, the blood splotches that I had on my collage obviously symbolized blood, with connected to the main conflict of this problem; the war in Sudan.

Reason Critically
All of my images and words that I chose for my collage highlights my understanding of the Lost Boys plight by choosing the images, carefully, that I thought would be significant to my collage. Before I pasted my text and pictures onto the collage, I made sure that I understood the message behind this story. All of my pictures relate to the conflicts and the challenges they faced through every little thing and the steps they took. I looked over all of the words I chose to put on my collage, and picked out only the ones that I thought really showed the situation the Lost Boys were, and still are in. Every little piece of detail that I had on my collage clearly describes what they were feeling throughout their journey.

Communicate Effectively
By communicating effectively, I think the way my collage creates awareness for the Lost Boys' plight are by choosing the right images and text to put on my collage, it is getting to the point with the audience; asking them to help. I communicated in this sense by the word choice I chose to use and the pictures that I chose to symbolize certain things for my collage. I also tried to use the right images that would catch and to inform the viewer's attention about the Lost Boys' journey. This, hopefully, by choosing the right text and pictures to get the point across to the viewer, makes them realize that they should help with this major issue. In this way, I communicated effectively with my collage.

Live Ethically
By trying to live ethically, I made people want to help, by, again, the pictures and text that I had on my collage. I had several words that said "help", which definitely was purposed to make the viewers want to help. I also put the logo of the American Red Cross and their statement saying "Together, we can save a life" which is a hook for the viewer to start helping. Throughout most of my text, I was trying to come to the conclusion that they need to be helped by a whole lot more of people. Also, once again, all of my text incites people to join with programs like the American Red Cross or the relief agency- 'Save the Children', and to help Sudan.

No comments: